Monday, February 14, 2011

Weekend Update

Things were not so productive this weekend school-wise, which is somewhat disappointing because I'd hoped to accomplish more on that end. But WVU played this weekend, so John and I of course watched the game. And on Friday, when we did our grocery shopping for the weekend and I stocked up on things I need for the week, I realized I was almost out of the frozen, chopped chicken I like to keep around all the time. I decided I'd better make a new batch over the weekend instead of trying to do it on a week night. That, and making cinnamon raisin bread (yummmmyyy) occupied a huge chunk of time on Sunday.

So, though school may have slightly suffered, it was a super productive weekend for cooking! Here's what was on the menu this weekend (sorry, no pictures):

Friday Dinner: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, green beans (John has been hinting around about meatloaf for two weeks, so I figured it was time to make this). I use a really standard, traditional Betty Crocker recipe; is there any other way?

Saturday and Sunday Lunch: I made panini with ham one day and turkey the next with freshly made bread from earlier in the week. I don't have a panini press, but it's easy enough to improvise. Lay a piece of foil or parchment paper over the sandwich in the skillet and put another skillet on top. Weight with a few cans. The only downside is that you have to turn the sandwich halfway through cooking.

Saturday Dinner: Asian Chicken Wraps. I had leftover tortillas from tacos I made last week, and I added chicken marinated in Sesame Ginger Dressing, shredded cabbage and carrot, julienned red peppers, and julienned scallions. This was a great light and healthy dinner.

Sunday Dinner: Baked BBQ Chicken, homemade cole slaw (with leftover cabbage and carrots), and baked beans.


Finally, here is my mom's stock recipe, which I said I'd include in one of my posts. This is a very simple, basic stock recipe. I don't like to add too many flavors to the stock itself; I add flavor later on in the process. I think a basic stock is more versatile than something packed with too many flavors.

Chicken Stock and Chicken

one whole chicken, cut up (you can buy it cut up or buy a whole one and cut it up yourself; I do whatever's cheaper)
3 or 4 celery stalks, cut into large chunks (like 3 pieces each)
3 or 4 carrot sticks, cut into large chunks
1 large or two medium onions, quartered
2 or 3 dried bay leaves (depending on size)
10 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tbsp dried
small bunch of fresh parsley (this is a great place to use up the stems)

Note: you don't need to peel the celery, carrot, or onion.

Place the chicken in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes. During this time, periodically check on the stock and skim off any fat that rises to the top with a spoon. After the 30 minutes, add the vegetables and herbs. Now cook another half an hour. Check the chicken for doneness; it should be falling off the bone. If it is cooked through, remove the chicken pieces from the pot to a cookie sheet or 9x13" pan. With two forks, remove the meat from the bone; chop or shred. Reserve. Add the bones and fat not reserved back into the pot; cook for at least another 30 minutes. Strain the stock through a strainer lined with cheesecloth into a large bowl. Refrigerate overnight and then remove any fat that has risen to the top. Freeze in tupperware containers or Ziploc bags or use within a few days. The chicken can be cooled and then wrapped in plastic wrap, then in foil, and frozen, or used within a couple days.


If anyone gets a chance, I'd really appreciate any feedback you have on this recipe. Is it clear? Does it make sense? Etc. Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment