Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sometimes offhanded comments contain words of wisdom...

The lovely Ambria, one of my favorite people in law school--here is a photo of us--





said something to me this morning before class that I've really been thinking about. I was telling her that I am now (finally) following her blog and that led to a discussion about how we both have a goal to post more often on our blogs. I told her I felt like mine was becoming too food- and cooking-related and that I thought I should branch out more. Ambria said, "Well, you just have to follow your passions."

I've really been thinking about that. (Isn't it cool when, in a very casual conversation, the person you're talking to says something that sort of stops you in your tracks?) Her comment made me stop and think: so what if most of what I write about is food and cooking, with random other topics sprinkled in occasionally? I LOVE to cook; in fact, it's one of the few hobbies I'm able to pursue anymore because I'm either super busy with school or just wanting to relax because I've been so busy. In fact, one of my goals is to publish a cookbook of original recipes and tips someday. Writing about food here is a great way to practice writing about food. Plus I can get feedback on my recipes and ideas.

I realized that what I was worried about was what I "should" be doing, not what I want to do. "What if nobody gives a shit about my ideas and what I randomly cook? What if people think this is stupid?" Another way of explaining what I got from Ambria today could be "Just go with it." Follow what your passions ARE, not what they SHOULD be. Follow your passions: that's a saying to live by.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! For some reason, I hadn't seen any of your new posts in my feed and I was just catching up on your blog and I saw this! I must say, I feel so honored to be on your blog!!!! It made my day! I am so glad something I said made sense to someone!!!!! And I am so glad to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete