Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day this year was pretty special! I have never gone out on Valentine's because battling the crowds just doesn't sound fun to me. I'd much rather have a nice evening at home, cook some great food, open a bottle of wine, and take it easy.

For what I'm embarrassed to say was the first time EVER, I pulled out my "dining room table" (it's usually over in a corner because there's no other place for it in my apartment) and put it in the middle of my living room. I set it with these great red place mats I bought several years ago at, believe it or not, Dollar General.



The beautiful flowers are from my Dad. He's sent me flowers for Valentine's Day ever since I was little:-) John got me a much-too-large box of chocolates, which I'm ashamed to say is already gone.






Dinner was ribeye seasoned with rosemary, salt, and pepper; red wine risotto; and asparagus sauteed in garlic oil. John did the ribeyes and cooked them perfectly.



The risotto was actually a really pretty purpley color; the camera on my phone just didn't do it justice.

Dessert was panna cotta in raspberry sauce. Pretty festive, huh?





With dinner, we had the cabernet that I used to cook the risotto, and we had champagne with dessert. The cabernet was a brand called 337 that I got at Kroger (it was on sale and it was only about $13) and it was WONDERFUL.

Here is John demonstrating, yet again, that he hates having his picture taken. At least I got him to stop flipping off the camera. How could I resist that face?




Hopefully I'll have excellent things to talk about for a birthday post!

No comments:

Post a Comment